The times when everything did not have to make sense... Its about the situations, the conditions, the hypocrisy, the tolerance, the madness and our own unimaginable cruelty to mankind. As i said... its about the times when not many things made sense.. and neither did History till then.... but always hoping that someday our future will.

Search Human Times

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Regional National Anthem

I went to see Rab ne bana di jodi.... and as much as I would like to post a review of it here.. i am holding against that.. atleast for now… J

We all have been accustomed to the National Anthem that is sung before every movie played in the theatres in Mumbai. I think its a good move where we can pay a small tribute to our Nation's heritage and its pride for few minutes before enjoying our movie that we paid out for. I liked the idea despite a huge debate going out in the blogging circles about the sanctity and the justification of playing it before movies like "No Entry" or "The Dark Knight".  Leaving the reasoning behind it, I still liked it. I will admit, I don’t fully realize the reason behind the move though. 

What is actually circling my mind is the regional representation of the National Anthem. I have always seen it sung by heroes of our nations, celebrities, leaders.. as a whole united nation coming from different part of our country. Since the last few movies I have seen, mainly in Cinemax, I begin to get the felling of regionalization of the National Anthem itself. I believe we have a National Anthem to bring national pride in oneself - which shows how diversified, multi cultured, multi linguistic nation we are and can unite and sing one song for our country. It represents the country not the state and hence all states are mentioned in the song. If an Anthem is supposed to represent the nation then why have only regional actors singing it. 

Maybe I have not taken it in the right sense. But I do not see any point in having only Marathi cinema actors sing the entire National Anthem either. Don’t get me wrong, am far away from such regionalization and its politics. I love all the actors in the anthem and this goes nothing against them. I am jus trying to understand the purpose behind it as tomorrow another region will start doing that and we will race towards regionalization than nationalization. At least not for the National Anthem. Let it speak for the Nation by the Nation. 

Please excuse if sentiments are hurt. This goes nothing against any particular region or language or state. 

Any thoughts ??

2 comments:

commited to life said...

hi..

well never though about this before reading this..
but its so true..
and esp in case of movies.. movies have always been binding force in our country.. so why practice regionalism here..

p.s was just passing by

IrShAd said...

:) yup.. this in fact is the tragedy where no sooner u see an influential entity in the society, than you see it being politicized.